dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi,can you please tell me how to get rid of smelly perspiration,I

Hi,can you please tell me how to get rid of smelly perspiration,I tried all the methods,and it's seems nothing is working,I think I have some problems with the glands? Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for your interesting question.

dermdoc19 :

The medical name for your problem is bromhidrosis ( or bromihidrosis...same thing).

dermdoc19 :

This is due to the production of chemicals from the bacteria that inhabit your axillae. The best treatment for this is to change the bacteria (flora) of the armpits. Either topical erythromycin or topical clindamycin can do this. If you want to try something over the counter before consulting with your doctor again, cleanse the area with Hibiclens 4% wash. Be sure to rinse well. Try might also try Bacitracin. Controlling the sweat will also help to a Degree and I would recommend Cert-N- Dri which is over the counter. Drysol is better but is a prescription product. Botox will also work well. Laser hair removal will also work since the bacteria is often growing among the hair.

dermdoc19 :

Bacitracin is an over the counter antibiotic cream or ointment.

Customer: Yes I think I know what is mean,but I need a remedy,I have this problem over then a year,I spoke with a dermatologist and I never received something to cure it,I would like to have a proper check and if is nesessary I would like to have that Botox injection against the perspiration,can you help me?? Thank you
dermdoc19 :

In the US Botox is generally covered by insurance plans, do not know whether it is with the NHS.

dermdoc19 :

Did your dermatologist place you on an oral or topical antibiotic?Also, to be sure, the odor does not have a fishy smell does it?

Customer: I forgot to mention that my problem start after I used dricolor ,I used for a quiet long time,it was good for stop sweeting but my smell was horrible,I stopped but the smell is still in my body.what to you think I have to do,thanks for the advice
dermdoc19 :

It does not have a fishy odor?

dermdoc19 :

If it does not I would recommend either Botox and an oral antibiotic such as Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day or Pro=Banthine 15 mg. twice a day for years, and Tetracycoine 500 mg. twice a day.

Customer: Yes is very weird the smell ,and some people can feel it from the distance,I take shower twice a day ,this problem is out of my hands,I will try this pills but also I drink lot of tea special sage one I heard is good,but still no effect :(
dermdoc19 :

The reason I bring that up is that there is a condition in which there is an enzyme defect called Trimethylammuniuria ( fish odor condition). The diagnosis is often missed in this and since it most often affects young women it would be important to diagnosis. Fairly unusual but I have seen two cases of it. A simple blood test will detect it.

dermdoc19 :

Otherwise, I would recommend the above course of treatment.

dermdoc19 :

i.e. a topical and oral antibiotic and something else to slow down the swweating.

Customer: Thank you ,I been in my country and I 've done all the test inclusiv the blood one,but they say I don't have nothing,anyway I'm gonna try what you told me to,and if doesn't work I really want to have a meeting with an dermatologist to consult me,can I do an appoiment??
Customer: Please
dermdoc19 :

In the US?

dermdoc19 :

Dr. Atilli is an excellent dermatologist and practices in the UK

Customer: I been in Romania
dermdoc19 :

Are you there now?

Customer: How can I find out his cabinet address ?? I really want to speak with him if is possible??pls
dermdoc19 :

You can ask the Site Monitor and she can contact him.

dermdoc19 :

You can speak to him that way.

Customer: I' m in london and I wish to get rid of this affection ,I want to believe that is someone there who can to something to cure me:(
dermdoc19 :

I think he can help since he practices in London.

dermdoc19 :

I can contact him if you wish...but it would be later.

Customer: Yes please I would appreciate ,and once more thank you for your reply
dermdoc19 :

You are welcome. He is off line know, but I will reach him later for you.

dermdoc19 :

Off line now.

Customer: Pretty thanks speak to you soon
dermdoc19 :

Good...and good luck.