dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi, I noticed red bumps around my ankles earlier the week

Customer Question

I noticed red bumps around my ankles earlier the week and thought it was due to fleas from a pet. They went away and tonight when I was dressing for bed - more than week after they disappeared - there are these red rings in their place. Please help as it's freaking me out a bit - I tend to have itchy arms and legs in general esp after bathing/showering but never ever have a rash.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Would it be possible to forward a photograph of the rash?

dermdoc19 :

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- : Yes i do have a photo. Please advise where or how to send?
dermdoc19 :

the easiest way is to send to [email protected]

dermdoc19 :

If you are in a hurry you can try clicking the paper clip icon and uploadinhg.

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- :

it's not ringworm as its little dotted circles. also its not itching at all or spreading. the area just feels a bit weird/stiff/swollen

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for the picture. Are there any small water bumps or vesicles?

dermdoc19 :

I will have to answer this later....Our twins are graduating tonight and I have to leave for the ceremony.! Will pick up the chat later. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- :

thank you. its literally circles created by small red dots

JACUSTOMER-qgizqhlm- :

some are darker than others

dermdoc19 :

Had to head home for pictures but the graduation is later.

dermdoc19 :

This is a somewhat tricky diagnosis, without some simple lab studies I cannot give you a dfinite answer but can lead you and your physician in the right direction.

dermdoc19 :

The things I would consider are 1) Tinea Corporis. A fungal infection. It may not seem like a fungal infection to you, but I guarantee there is not a dermatologist in the country with more than a year of experience who has not been fooled by a fungus. A simple KOH scraping, which is painless, can give you the answer. Fungal infections do not necessarily itch. Plus you mention a pet. 2) I would consider a form of lupus called subacute Lupus Erythematosus. This is caused by the sun and can occur on the legs where there is light exposure. 3) Erythema Annulare Centrifugum. This is a condition in which rings are formed on the skin. We do not know what the cause is for this. 4) Purpura Annulare Telangiectoides of Majochhi. This is usually found in women who are on their feet for extended periods of time. I place this down on the list since, this is occurs slowly over time, and your problem seems more rapid.

dermdoc19 :

More to follow.