Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Hello, I have a question about Accutane and altitude sickness.

I have a question about Accutane and altitude sickness. I appreciate that there may not be much medical literature about this, but do you have any idea if taking Accutane (1mg/kg dose) increases the risk of altitude sickness (particularly pulmonary oedema and/or raised intracranial pressure)?

I have recently started a course of Accutane and am due to go trekking in Nepal (to 5000m altitude) whilst on this medication (it will be at the beginning of my 4th month on treatment). I have some reservations about it. I appreciate that I will need to take extra care with sunscreen etc, but apart from that do you think this is risky? I wonder if I should stop the Accutane whilst I go on holiday (for the 2 week period) and then restart on my return. Is there a problem with stopping and starting Accutane in this way, ie., would it reduce its effectiveness in the long run? Finally, if I need to stop it to go away, should I stop a bit earlier so that the drug has cleared my system?

Many thanks for your consideration.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--there's no evidence in the medical literature that there's any problem with Accutane and what you refer to as altitude sickeness, pulmonary edema or pulmonary edema. As for stopping and starting, yes that will reduce the efficacy but if you've been on it for four months, that would be long enough for it to have been effective. If you're still concerned about the altitude sickness, one week of being off the medication would be long enough for it to be out of your system
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems