dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have 2 questions. Firstly I have had very oily skin since

Customer Question

I have 2 questions. Firstly I have had very oily skin since puberty. I am now 52 with blocked pores like a teenager on my face. I have tried every skin cleanser on the market will no real progress. As well as bensol peroxide creams. I have never had real medical advice as I suppose its not classed a bad acne. But at the same time its very embarrassing. Any advice?
Secondly. Thread veins on my cheeks. They are getting mlre noticeable as I get older. Any advice?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your questions.

dermdoc19 :

Let me answer the second question, first.

dermdoc19 :

The "thread veins" as you describe them are actually telangiectasias, which are permanently dilated small veins. The best treatment for this is either a laser or electro-dessication. The latter is done with a fine needle and is much less expensive than a laser.

dermdoc19 :

Before answering the first question, I would like to know whether you would like over the counter or prescription advice. ( Or both). Thank you and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer:

Hi..are you in the UK? Is electro-dessication the most efrective and safe treatment? I live by HK and notice the hot temperature seems to exaggerate the visibility on the veins which Im now self conscious about, there are actually like 5 stripes,the shape of the veins can be seen very clearly on both cheeks My mother also had this condition.

Customer:

Secondly I did have prescription medication for what the doc described as mild acne..it was roll on stick with antibiotics. This seemed to have no effect other than drying and peeling my skin. I can wash my face several times then after drying still squeeze clogged oil from my pores. Thanks.

Customer:

Over the counter or prescription. I dont mind..Im simply looking for the most effective treatment to improve the clarity of my skin..I have actually never seen another women with skin as clogged up as mine..with acne yes..but not with clogged pores. It does impact my confidence even though I try ignore the problem. This is why im finally contacting an expert. At the age of 52 finally im dealing with what matters to me.

dermdoc19 :

No, I practice in the States.

dermdoc19 :

From the description of you problem I would recommend a two pronged treatment: you should find a good aesthetician who will spend time with your performing deep pore cleansing followed by extraction. You should accompany this with the use of a Retinoid at night. Roc Retinol cream ( over the counter) or Tazorac cream 0.05. The latter is a prescription cream which you should use every other night for two weeks and then nightly. Also place Cerave PM moisturizing cream on first.

dermdoc19 :

In the moprning I would recommend Oxy 5 gel which is over the counter. Orally, Nic Azel which is a prescription product or, instead, the over the counter products: Zinc Gluconate 25 mg., Vitmain C 500 mg. twice a day, Vitamin A 5000 I.U. would all be helpful.

dermdoc19 :

Many of these products will not only clear up your skin but have anti-aging benefits too.

dermdoc19 :

If you are using an antibiotic for your skin, be sure to also use a Benzoyl Peroxide such as Oxy 5 gel. The antibiotic alone can lead to bacterial resistance.

dermdoc19 :

Use a cream variety antibiotic so you are less likely to develop dryness and irritating.

dermdoc19 :

I really do not use electro-dessication except for skin tags, small growths such as seborrheic keratosis, small blood vessel leisons such as angiomas, and telangiectasis.

dermdoc19 :

I woud be happy to answer further questions for you..

dermdoc19 :

Just let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi sorry for the delay. Holiday time here. THE ROC RETINOL CREAM you mentioned is there a specific name? I asked in the pharmacy and she told me 2 different types. ? For wrinkles and a filler?? I didn't know what to ask for.

Thanks for your help.

Tracy

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
I would ask for Roc Retinol Correxion deep Wrinkle Filler. This combines Hyaluronic Acid and Retinol.