Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Two of my children have developed what look like insect bites

Two of my children have developed what look like insect bites on their upper backs. They are red and itchy, no blisters and look like weals. I don't know what has caused this and want to know whether to visit the doctor. Spots have been there for just over 24 hours.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still waiting for an answer. I have photos of the weals on my daughters' backs but cannot seem to attach these to my question.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Please attach the pictures here or post them on www.tinypic.com and send me the link.
You can post pictures here by clicking on the paperclip icon which will appear only when you open this page in internet explorer or mozilla firefox.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here are the pictures. Sorry for the delay but the computer was playing up. And for some unknown reason, they are upside down.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Seems like an allergy to something.
You are doing the right thing in giving piriton and if that has helped you should continue.
Another medication that you can use instead of piriton is an antiallergic medication called claritin that contains loratadine and the advantage of that it does not cause sleepiness in contrast to piriton that does cause sleepiness.
1% hydrocortisone is another over the counter option that you can apply on these.
If this rash remains for another few days despite these medications then the kids should be seen because they will then require prescription strength medications to help cure this.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Do rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Spoke to pharmacist and now giving girls cetirizine and Fucidin cream that has 1% hydrocortisone. I just wish I knew what had caused this. Rash mainly on upper back, with a few strays on thighs and arms.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Thats good.
Any more questions?
Please do rate me for my services before you leave and if you do not have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I combine cetirizine and piriton. Kids are complaining of itching despite having had cetirizine this morning?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Use either cetrizine or piriton.
Do not use the two together because they are both antihistamines.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Noted. Do you think these are bites of some shape or form or a reaction to something? I have two other children who are unaffected. They have all been together.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
It does seem like some sort of allergy to something.
It does not look like bug bites.
It may be something that they have used or eaten.
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine