dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

hi, i am a dark skinned lady with dark spots, blackheads and

hi, i am a dark skinned lady with dark spots, blackheads and open pores. Please can you recommend a cream, scrub, gel or soap to use to eliminate this?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question. I would be happy to look at a picture if you are able to supply one.

Customer:

okay how do i post a picture here

dermdoc19 :

A Retinoid, which is a Vitamin A derivative, would be a place to start. My favorite is Tazorac cream 0.05. Begin every other day

dermdoc19 :

You would click on the paper clip icon and upload.

dermdoc19 :

The system does not work with Safari or Google Chrome though.

dermdoc19 :

If this does not work you can use a photosharing device or can use e mail by sending to***@******.***

Customer:

okay .. i dont know if this picture is clear enough but the dark spots are showing in this picture

Customer:

Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

I do not see the picture yet.

dermdoc19 :

Good. It just came up. Thank you.

dermdoc19 :

Would you like over the counter or prescription suggestions?

Customer:

what is the difference between the two?

dermdoc19 :

Generally, the prescription items are more effective.

Customer:

okay but if you prescribe one, would i be able to go to the pharmacy to collect it? or am i going to get some code or something saying you prescribed it?

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, but I can only prescribe in Virginia in the United States.

dermdoc19 :

I can only offer advice and suggestions.

Customer:

okay so what do you advice?

dermdoc19 :

Over the Counter I would recommend Roc Retinol Correxion NIght Cream at night. Retriderm strong is another product that is very good, but this is harder to find. You would use this at night.

dermdoc19 :

In the morning, I would recommend Finacea gel or Azelaic acid cream. This works with both acne and helping with the pigmented spots.

dermdoc19 :

Orally, Zinc glutamate 25 mg. and Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day.

Customer:

do i have to use all these at once?

dermdoc19 :

I would also recommend an aesthetician who can perform glycolic acid peels.

dermdoc19 :

No, the Roc product would be used at night and the Azelaic acid product would be used in the morning.

Customer:

okay so all these products would clear the dark spots, blackheads and open pores?

dermdoc19 :

Yes, it is the best treatment for it. Both treatments do all three things. However, they work slowly. The Roc Retinol is weaker than prescription products, but you do want weaker products since they are less likely to irritate the skin.

dermdoc19 :

Be patient though as it does take time to work.

Customer:

when you say 'slow', how slow do u mean? 2 weeks? one month? two months? days? a year?

dermdoc19 :

More like two months. You MAY get worse around the third week. From that point on you will get gradual improvement. Unfortunately, this type of acne does not respond over night.

Customer:

thanks alot for your help. is there any more efficient one that works in 2 weeks or so apart from the prescribed ones

dermdoc19 :

Oral steroids work quickly but are not a long term solution.

dermdoc19 :

You are very welcome.

Customer:

okay. thanks alot

dermdoc19 :

Again welcome.