dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi, I took the anti hair-loss drug propecia for 3 months. I

Customer Question

I took the anti hair-loss drug propecia for 3 months.
I haven't taken the drug since October 2013.
Since going off the drug I have experienced muscle wastage and have lost half a stone of weight.
The skin on my face has thinned and I have lost subcontaneous fat and collagen.
Is there any chance that my skin could be returned to its original state do you know?
I'd appreciate your help with this matter please.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- : Hello
dermdoc19 :

This would be extremely unusual for Propecia to do this, especially in light of the fact that it has been out of your system for 8-9 months. My advice would be to consult with your physician to find another cause. You would need a physical and blood work to fule out such things as a thyroid problem, a collagen vascular disease etc.

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- : It's not that unusual to be honest because I know many people who have taken the drug and get this.
dermdoc19 :

Prescribed from a physician?

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- : How do you mean? Look there is a forum with thousands of men who have been destroyed by this drug.i am one of them. There are studies done and published which show that people who develop adverse effects even after quitting the drug have increased and region receptors on their body.there are studies being done in Harvard and Baylor trying to find the root cause of the syndrome post finasteride syndrome.it alters your body chemistry permanently unless they can find a cure.
dermdoc19 :

Let me OPT OUT since I don't feel I can really help you. I would certainly would not jump to conclusions that Propecia is to blame. There are other causes for this problem and they should be ruled out. Hopefully, one of my colleagues can better assist you. I do appreciate your making me aware of the magnitude of the problem.

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- : Is that it then?
JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- : What a poxy waste of money that was
JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- :

Hi, are you able to answer my question?

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- :

Sorry, can i ask whether yu can help me or not please?. Unfortunately I cant stay on this chat all day

dermdoc19 :

IIf these symptoms are due to low androgens it would seem logical to have androgen replacement.

dermdoc19 :

The way that Propecia could potentially cause this problem.would be by blocking androgen. So measuring androgens and then replacing them if low should restore muscle mass and correct all the problems of androgen insufficiency.

dermdoc19 :

I did a literature search and there was a case of myopathy in a man on Proscar for 10 years. He was on a five mg. dose. His myopathy reversed after three weeks after discontinuation of the drug.

JACUSTOMER-v1aj4ia3- :

that is a good point but unfortunately, someone suffering this syndrome doesnt respond to TRT.it is as if the body has become over sensitive to testeoterone and therefore does not respond to this. thanks for the reply. yeah some people get lucky and it reverses, others these side effects remain and until there is a cure found this will continue. just specifically in relation to the facial skin.is it the case that once damaged in the way i have described, will that be permamnent or could this possibly be reversed (assuming a cure is found)

dermdoc19 :

Article was by Al-Harbi in the Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Diseases

dermdoc19 :

As a dermatologist I can only make a suggestoin regarding the collagen and thinning of the skin.

dermdoc19 :

Using the usual modalities that we have such as IPL Photorejuvenation, Radiofrequency, or laser the collagen can be pumped up.

dermdoc19 :

The peidermis can be thickened and normalized with alpha hydroxy acids NeoStrata makes veryh good ones and Retinoids ( which thicken the epidermis but thin the stratum corneum, the dead cells that sit atop the living epidermis.

dermdoc19 :

Muscles I do not know since that is really out of my realm.

dermdoc19 :

Injectionas with Sculptra would also help. We use that for lipoatrophy in HIV patients andit works very well.

dermdoc19 :

The results last about 2-3 years.