DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have just found out I have an underactive

Customer Question

Hello my name is ***** ***** I have just found out I have an underactive thyroid and have just started medication for this my problem is I have been suffering from severe hair loss for many months and my doctor is putting it down to this condition. I asked my doctor if I could see a dermatologist about my hair loss as it is making me severely depressed and he said there would be no point do you think it would be wise to see a dermatologist about my hair loss. I am 63yrs old and already have very fine hair so more hair loss isextremely distressing to me I cannot afford to lose any more hair thank you Jillian
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Jillian,

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I would wait 3 months.

Get your TSH down to 1.

If your hair is not growing back, then request a derm visit.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.