dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis which has

I have been diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis which has been under control for a few years using a canestan/hydrocotisone topical cream. I still occasionally get small red patches on my cheeks either side of my nose however this goes away once i use the cream. Recently i have noticed small red patches on my forehead and the temple area particularly when i had a shower or do exercise. Today this has flared up as i was using head and shoulders shampoo in the shower and i rubbed some into my forehead as thought this would help however it has made the skin much redder.
Any thoughts on what the underlying issue as it has become more noticeable recently.
(I have used head and shoulders for years so wondering if this may be the cause and today seems to confirm i may be sensitive...)
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks,
SF
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 3 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

It may be possible that you have developed an allergy to one of the ingredients in Head and Shouldersor even one of the ingredients in your Canestan/hydrocortisone. I would switch to Hydrocortisone ointment 1% as it contains much fewer ingredients than the cream. Avoid Head and Shoulders.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to look at a picture to be sure that this is what you have.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hi, thanks very much, I have taken the pictures attached however the reaction has died down since last evening but is obviously still visible. I did not use head and shoulders today so will stop using completely. I will speak to my doctor in order to change the canestan/hydrocortisone prescription.

Customer:

Any thoughts on the pictures would be appreciated and hopefully if it is just the head and shoulders or canes tan I can stop using.

Customer:

Scott.

Customer:

Thanks,