dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I went to my doctor a couple of years ago as I was concerned

Customer Question

I went to my doctor a couple of years ago as I was concerned about the presence of 2 – 5 mm black spots on the scrotum. They don't hurt other than when I cut myself shaving and that's how I know they contain blood. I explained they don't bother me other than looking unsightly and he said that they were harmless and should just leave them alone. Since then I have become self-conscious and it has caused some embarrassment with a new partner and she has understandably expressed some concern. Researching on the internet they appear to be "Angiokeratoma of the Fordyce"? I am concerned on how they came about and my new girl friend is obviously concerned that I might have some form of STD or disease although shes being as diplomatic as she can? I played lots of sport over the years, football and martial arts mainly and have also had a vasectomy. What can I tell her to reassure her and what cosmetic options if any do i have please?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.

dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

I agree with your self diagnosis. This sounds most like Angiokeratomas of Fordyce. This is absolutely, in no shape or form, related to any type of StD.

dermdoc19 :

We do not know the cause of this, but some authorities feel that they are due to increased venous pressure ( perhaps, from a varicoele).

dermdoc19 :

No treatment is needed since this is generally just a cosmetic problem. We have found the 1064 nd: Yag laser quite effective, so if you really want treatment, this is what I would recommend.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer further questions.

JACUSTOMER-1djrs6fj- :

Ok thanks I'm based in North London is there somewhere private you could recommend to explore Yag laser treatment?

JACUSTOMER-1djrs6fj- :

JACUSTOMER-1djrs6fj- :

Barry

dermdoc19 :

You might try Mark Hudson-Peacock. Please let me know if I can be of further help.