Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

My cuticles and edge of my finger nails have been yellow and

My cuticles and edge of my finger nails have been yellow and sometimes orange for the last few months. some days they dont have this look but mostly they are either yellow or orange. I have been to my GP who did a liver function test which came back normal and she had no idea what else it could be. I have tried an over the counter cream called Daktarin which is an anti bacterial cream for nails and I still have the problem. Could you please help? It looks horrible and I am worried.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. This isn't a liver problem but a fungal problem of the cuticles and nails and what you need is prescription ketoconazole cream but a more effective measure would be six weeks of a daily dose of oral Lamisil or Sporanox. If your GP isn't comfortable with treating this that way you'd need to see a dermatologist about the problem