Charogat
Charogat, Doctor (other than dermatologist)
Experience:  Licensed physician in NY and NJ with extensive experience helping with medical questions online.
16403115

Am male, smoker, no alcohol, age 57I have been on metformin

Customer Question

Am male, smoker, no alcohol, age 57
I have been on metformin for three years, and the last 12 months have also been on Humulin. For the last 9 months or so I have had pains in my legs, extreme sensitivity all over and itchy skin but no rash. Any ideas please nothing helps - creams, moisturisers antihistamines etc.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Some of the things that you mention make me wonder about what your diabetes is doing to your body.

1. Has your doctor tested your for peripheral aterty disease? And/or peripheral neuropathy?
2. When was the last time your doctor checked how your kidneys were doing?
3. Have you ever tried phototherapy (done by a dermatologist) for the itching?

The bot***** *****ne is that the two things I'd be looking at in your case are:
1. If you have peripheral neuropathy secondary to your diabetes. If you do then there are some medications that can sometimes help with that, and hopefully your doctor can talk to you about it.
2. I'm worried about any kidney damage you may have, which could have come about from the diabetes or as a side effect of the medication. In some cases with kidney failure, phototherapy can help with the itching tremendoulsy.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help in any other way.

G-d Bless
Experience: Licensed physician in NY and NJ with extensive experience helping with medical questions online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks so much for the advice - I am now consulting with my doctor about this problem, as he has never heard of it in connection with diabetes.

Expert:  Charogat replied 2 years ago.

The pain he should have heard about in relation to diabetes. The itching skin is common in people who have damage to their kidneys, ESPECIALLY those who are on dialysis. (I know that you are not a dialysis patient, and as far as we know your kidneys are okay).
Diabetes can harm the kidneys, and some medications can cause kidney damage as well. This is why I am thinking about this possibly being the thing that is causing you problems.

G-d Bless

Please let me know if I can help further.

(PS I will likely not be on the computer for the rest of this week, so if you have a follow-up question you will likely not get an immediate answer).