dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have seborrhoeic keratosis on my back, rather a lot, would

Customer Question

I have seborrhoeic keratosis on my back, rather a lot, would a bought remedy for warts such as Bazooka work
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Bazuka gel contains salicylic acid and is intended to treat verruca or warts. Seborrheic keratoses ( although it is my understanding that a lot of British people call these ugly growths seborrheic warts) are not actually warts caused by a virus, so this is not the intent of the drug. However, seborrheic keratoses are from a thickened keratin layer. Since salicylic acid is a keratolytic ingredient it will trim down some of the thickness. Thus, I see no problem in carefully applying this product. Be careful not to put it on normal skin. I would also advise you not to apply it at night to avoid its spread while you sleep. Another product called AmLactin has been shown to decrease the number of new seborrheic keratoses. This is a nice moisturizer too. This consists of Lactic acid and may have an English version. In the US, this is over the counter.

Customer:

One caveat though is to have your back checked periodically by a physician. Occasionally a melanoma can masquerade as a seborrheic keratosis.

Customer:

I would be happy to answer further questions or expand on any of the above.

Customer:

I would add that using Bazuka gel will probably not get rid of the seborrheic keratoses that are thick but may help the thinner ones. Dr. Eugene Van Scott, the father of alpha hydroxy acids, when I was a resident demonstrated to us how he could remove seborrheic keratoses using Pyruvic Acid. This was actually marketed but failed to gain traction since the process is slow and tedious. The salicylic aicd in Bazuka should work the same slow way.

JACUSTOMER-y9msv674- :

Thank you for above information. I have also seen on line Hydrogen Peroxide 35% also Glycolic Acid. There is Wartner Freeze which freezes normal warts. I am tempted to try that.

Customer:

The wart freezer should work. Glycoloic acid being simila in a sense to Pyruvic acid might work, but not as well as Pyruvic acid. Dr. Scott basically developed glycolic acid for medical use, and I am sure would have chosen that one if he felt it worked better. Salicylic acid or lactic acid ( found in AMLactin or Lac-Hydrin or Lacticare) would work better. That strength of hydrogen peroxide would kind of scare me, we only have BP up to 10% in the United States!

Customer:

Just because a company makes something and has a nice web site and has been overlooked by regulating authorities does not always mean it is best for the patient. I have heard of women scarring themselves for life using acid strength that even the most experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon would shy away from.

Customer:

Feel free to get back to me with any questions.