Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

MY 16 year old daughter has been prescribed a contraceptive

MY 16 year old daughter has been prescribed a contraceptive for PCOS. suddenly she had developed acne in the last few months. it has been 5-6 weeks but the spots seem to be getting worse. She tried tetrasyl earlier this year and tried laser??! Can i get hold of any stronger tablets which will give her faster results for the acne? this is affecting everything about her including her attitude to school. She has gone from having perfect skin to acne prone skin. Will a dermatologist prescribe some? if so what can I ask for?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. What was the dosage and length of time she was on the tetrasyl and did it help at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure of the dosage but she had it on and off for about 3 months. Do you think she really needed to have it continuously for a longer period? I know they did not think if was severe acne - even now it us quite mild - but a striking difference to the very clear skin she had before? Therefore it bothers her
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I understand Rajni. I would suggest doxycycline 100 mg twice a day for three months and topically clinadamycin gel applied twice daily for three months. I've had a great deal of success with that combination for my patients with acne. A dermatologist can prescribe those but so can a family doctor