Dr.Israr
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,FCPS
29944350

i have itchy skin on my arms and across my shoulders there

i have itchy skin on my arms and across my shoulders there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my skin until i scratch and it becomes red and more itchy. i take anti histamine and use over the counter skin cream but nothing really works. this condition comes and goes but is more severe in the winter months. i am 70 years old and have had this since i was in my forties.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sometimes i put an ice pack on my arms to soothe them
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.

Hello Sorry for your problem.

Are you getting any drug for some other medical disorder?

Any investigations done to diagnose this issue?

Which antihistamine drug are you getting currently?

Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 2 years ago.
I have not heard back from the last request for information, but will address the information that is available.
Well, such unexplained itching without a rash is known as Pruritis and this needs to be worked up. Amongst the commonest causes is dry skin, often ignored by the patient. Other possibility is scabies infection common in winters. In the current scerario, first of all you should be treated for Scabies with 5% Permethrin cream before looking for another cause of the itching because scabies can have no other skin features apart from the itching. If however this itching persists despite treatment then other causes of it should be worked up. In that case you need to go for Liver function tests, Ultrasound abdomen (for liver and biliary tract) blood complete count, Allergy screening etc
I suggest you to see your doctor and share these informations and go for appropriate management. In the mean time start OTC tab loratadine twice daily to overcome itching. Avoid using soaps which causes dryness and worsen itching.
Thanks and Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Dr.Israr, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,FCPS