Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Hi, I have acne like marks on my beardline on my left cheek

Customer Question

Hi, I have acne like marks on my beardline on my left cheek only. It has been getting gradually worse over the last few months. I never really got any spots in these areas but they seem to be like red patches. If I do not shave for couple of days the areas become sort of dry where the skin seems to heal. However, as soon as I shave again the areas are back to the same again if not worse. The condition does not seem to show any signs of improvement. My feeling is that the issue may have been caused by sleeping on my hand and it may be some sort of imfection in the pores or hair follicles but of course I can't be sure. Regards, Martin

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello Martin,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Martin. Sorry for the delay but you question just became available to me. We can continue after this but this looks like folliculitis--hair shaft infection. A prescription for the antibiotic doxycyline taken daily for a month should clear it up. You should ask your doctor about this
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Dr. Chip,
Thanks for the information. I haven't had an opportunity to go to a doctor to get a prescription just yet. I have however, minimised the amount of times I shave and also have begun applying tee tree oil. There has been some improvement so I will continue to monitor it.
Can you tell me what the likely causes of folliculitis are and how I could prevent it from happening again in the future?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Martin. There isn't a specific cause other than the bacteria on your skin and sometimes people have sensitive skin. Once you have the course of antibiotics and it clears up the best thing for prevention would be to wash your face with an antiseptic scrub like Betadine three times a week.