dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I am bald and have been prescribed solaraze 3% by my gp. I

Customer Question

I am bald and have been prescribed solaraze 3% by my gp. I probably have suffered from sun exposure in the past, but in the past 2months there are pussy lumpy spots mainly around the hair line . So, I think there are two problems, and I don't think the solaraze is the right treatment for these recent spots. Having said that the gp has seen these spots.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for asking your question regarding the facial bumps. Is it possible to forward a photograph?

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

thank you for replying. I have tried to take a photograph but it is difficult to do so on my own but I will get my son to take one this evening and send it to you.

Customer:

Customer:

I await your picture.

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

I imagine the photos might make you think that my problem is a trivial one, but I am very concerned. previously I hadn't mentioned that the spots also are on the back of my head (in my hair) and have occurred on my face and nose , one on my face was particularly pronounced situated below my ear. The one on my nose was smaller and right on the end of my nose.

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

All in all, I still think there are two problems, one a skin problem due to exposure to the sun perhaps acquired over the period say 70s in Australia, and other times. latterly of course I keep my head covered. I have had a couple of areas of keratosis on my ears which I had had efudix 5% prescribed, which in the main have cleared.

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

But I fail to see that spots in my hair, on my cheek and nose are due to exposure to the sun. Especially since these are very recent, and with no exposure to talk of to the sun. The nature of the spots ie swelling up and holding puss before scabbing over has me and perhaps my gp baffled. Could it be a hormonal problem?

JACUSTOMER-a37afl0b- :

I hope you can held get to the bottom of the problem. I was my hair and head twice each day. I use E45 or antiseptic cream plus the solaraze, obviously not all at the same time. I try very hard not to pick at the spots but that is hard. They itch sometimes but then if I try not to think about them the itching subsides for a while.

Customer:

Is it possible to send a close up. The views are too distant to make a proper evaluation. ONe suggestion would be for your physician to once again prescribe Efudex. If Efudex is used, actinic keratoses will "light up" and leave normal skin alone. It will obviously clear normal skin. I would think from your description that you have a follicultism an infection of the hair follicle. So I would also advise to treat with Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day.