dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have one puffy under eye bag as if the skin has moisture

Customer Question

I have one puffy under eye bag as if the skin has moisture in it, have tried various creams, etc. and nothing seems to work. The area is always puffy but some days it gets really swollen and red. The other under eye is ok and because of that, I dont think I am suffering from an allergy, which surely would affect both under sides of my face, under eye.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for asking your question.

Customer:

Is it possible to forward a photograph? If you would like me to answer your question without one, I can do my best. Just let me know.

Customer:

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

don’t have a photo, please continue your answer without photo thanku.

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

Im still awaiting your reply to my question, once again I do not have a photo to send you. thanku It is now 5.30 p.m.

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

Awaiting your reply 6.00 p.m.

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

please note I want this one question answered and nothing further. I dont want free membership nor do I wish to pay any thing more

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

I am still awaiting your answer. 6.20p.m.

Customer:

The most likely cause of this problem is actually an allergy of some kind...IF the affected eye is the same as your dominant hand. In other words, if your right eye is involved and you are right handed, then there is a strong possibility that you are allergic to something which is being transferred from your hand to your eye. Fingernail polish is actually the most frequent culprit but it could be a moisturizer, perfume, cream, etc.

Customer:

The skin of the eye area is the thinnest on the female body ( in men, the scrotum is thinner). This makes it react easier to allergens.

Customer:

My advice is to see your physician for a product called Tacrolimus. This is an ointment which can help with the rash. You might try Hydrocortisone 10 OINTMENT. Please get the ointment version as one of the ingredients in the cream version may be the cause of your problem. Creams, being water based, need more preservatives than ointments which are oil based ( bacteria grow in water much better than oil).

Customer:

If this continues to be a problem, I would recommend patch testing to see what you are allergic to. I personally do not do this for my patients on the initial rash, but if the rash resolves, and recurs, you should have this done. These are discs impregnated with chemicals that you are exposed to. They stay on the back for 48 hours, taken off and examined at 48 and 96 hours. Any reactions are assumed to be allergies to that chemical. You would then be told to avoid those products containing that chemical.

Customer:

I apologize for the delay. I usually am quicker to handle questions. But for some reason the internet was not working in my office...and it is my birthday.

Customer:

If you are able to forward your a picture later, I would be happy to look at it and perhaps amend my diagnosis. However, from your description, this is what I think your problem most likely is. Do feel free to ask me further questions or add thoughts of your own.

Customer:

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

What is your "diagnosis" I have not been able to find it!

JACUSTOMER-ur4v7b97- :

There has been no diagnosis, I have searched through your replies,and not one gives a "diagnosis". Asking me to send a photo/picture is NOT a diagnosis. I do NOT have a picture, please can you reply to the question I originally submitted..

Customer:

My diagnosis would be an allergic contact dermatitis, probably from an outside source ( not eye products).

Customer:

Hopefully, you received my whole reply.

Customer:

Feel free to ask further questions.