dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had a large mole on my buttock since childhood and I

Customer Question

I have had a large mole on my buttock since childhood and I haven't noticed any changes to it recently. The mole itself isn't itchy but the area surrounding is. It's coming up in little red spots that really itch. It's making me paranoid that it's something with the mole. What could it be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Customer:

If this is a mole you have had since childhood, it may be a congenital nevus. These do have a tendency to malignant degeneration. Although it is reassuring that the mole itself does not seem to be changing, itching is a suspicious sign. For that reason it would be prudent to seek the services of your physician or dermatologist. They can use an instrument called a dermatoscope which is a type of light which can help differentiate between benign and a troublesome lesion. Many dermatologists would argue that it would be wise to remove the congenital nevus, as a prophylactic measure. Since it is located on the buttocks, one would have less cosmetic concern.

Customer:

I would be happy to answer further questions.