DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, my teenage daughter has had a bad acne breakout. She used

Customer Question

Hi, my teenage daughter has had a bad acne breakout. She used Duac for two years which stopped working in the summer. She was diagnosed with Glandular Fever in the summer too. At the start of October she visited Africa on a school trip which she needed vaccinations for and so was prescribed doxycline for malaria prevention which she is still on, that is about 6 weeks or so now. My question is really this - has the acne flare up got anything to do with glandular fever? If yes, does that affect the treatment at all ? Sometimes it looks so red and angry I wonder if it even is acne. It is also itchy at times although we have been to nutritionist who has given us a list of foods she is intolerant to and we have cut those out for a over six weeks or so. I am very reluctant to put her on raccutane.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Lara-cssm replied 3 years ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/dermatology/8qz63-hi-teenage-daughter-bad-acne-breakout-used.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
There is no direct link to the mononucleosis.
However, such an illness can cause dietary changes, hormonal imbalance, weight loss, or gain, and these things can all influence acne formation.
I would emphasized diet at this point.
Can you tell me what she eats at each meal on a typical day?
I would also look at all hormonal panels to see what is going on: thyroid, sex hormone panel, and adrenal panel.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.