dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

what is lichen sclerosis ?

Customer Question

what is lichen sclerosis ?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Thank you for asking your question regarding Lichen Sclerosus.

Customer:

This is also referred to as lichen slerosus et atrophicus. Essentially there are two types: extra-genital or genital. hile the extra-genital type is not implicated in cancer, Lichen Sclerosus that occurs in the genital area can lead to squamous cell carcinoma. This is actually quite uncommon, but if this area develops ulcerations ( holes in the skin), this would be a cause for concern.

Customer:

Lichen Sclerosus is far more common in females than males, and is mostly found in the elderly.

Customer:

I usually find a skin biopsy very helpful in making the diagnosis and of course, if there is a suspicion of cancer a biopsy would be crucial.

Customer:

As far as treatment: most dermatologists recommend a strong steroid for this area, such as Clobetesol Prop;ionate 0.05% twice a day for 2-3 weeks.

Customer:

We used to prescribed Topical Testosterone ointment but it appears now that many experts in the area debunk this treatment.

Customer:

Be sure to cleanse the area gently. I prefer Cerave Moisturizing Wash. Wear ventilated cotton underwear. Avoid panty liners, pre-mixed douches and sprays. Do not use scented toilet paper.

Customer:

Some physicians like Protopic ointment for this. This is non-steroidal.

Customer:

Be sure that you seek regular check ups for lichen sclerosus.

Customer:

I hope this helps. If you have any further question, please get back to me.