dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I am itching all over. My flatmate was exposed to chickenpox

Customer Question

I am itching all over. My flatmate was exposed to chickenpox yday. I have had the chicken pox as a child. Also I am a childminder. Could I have shingles? Do I need to stay off work?

Also I am using a new shampoo could this be the cause?

Please reply asap.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for asking your question.

Customer:

Do you have a rash at all? If your roommate was exposed just yesterday, it would be impossible for you to develop shingles today.

JACUSTOMER-ihswdllc- :

No rash.

Customer:

OK. This would be unlikely for generalized itching to develop into shingles. There is something called generalized zoster in which basically you develop chicken pox all over the body. But this is quite unusual, and virtually impossible to make the diagnosis of this without a rash. The things we think of with itching without a rash would include: liver or kidney disease, maybe diabetes, dry skin, or psychogenic ( anxiety leading to an itch sensation). The prodrome ( early, before the disease or condition has manifested itself) bullous pemphigoid, which is a blistering disease. Unlikely. Occasionally patients have a type of urticaria in which the small itch sensation leads to scratching which then releases histamine causes more itching. At this point I would not be overly anxious about it since it is unlikely for you to develop shingles after one day of exposure to someone who has not developed chicken pox. I would recommend an emollient such as Aveeno anti-itch cream, Benedryl 25 mg. and short tepid water baths with Aveeno oatmeal in it. If the itch continues, then a blood evaluation for kidney or liver disorders.

Customer:

I would not stay off work. However, do look for a rash since you would not expose children to scabies, the itch mite.

Customer:

This often begins in the finger webs.

Customer:

But you really should have some sort of rash with it.

JACUSTOMER-ihswdllc- :

Ok. Look thank you for all that. Bye now.

Customer:

Any questions? You question stays open for two weeks so you can get back to me if you develop a rash.

JACUSTOMER-ihswdllc- :

Ok cool thanks.

Customer:

You are very welcome Have a Merry Christmas.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

There is still no rash.

The itching is all over the body but ive noticed a lot of it is on my head and hair regions. It is on the skin as well though.

It is at its worst at nighttime in bed.

Any more thoughts?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
I would recommend trying the measures I mentioned for dry skin, but if they are not working over the weekend, I would advise seeing your doctor to have kidney/liver etc. measured.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi again

I have just looked at my arms and I have long lines that look like scratches but are not scratches.

Any more thoughts?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like hives. It is possible that you have minor itching ( we all develop small areas that itch); you scratch them and this releases histamine. That causes more itching and scratching. The antihistamines I mentioned above will help: Allegra 180 mg. during the day and Benedryl 25 mg. at night.