dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Hi my 19 year old daughter is having problems with her skin.

Hi my 19 year old daughter is having problems with her skin. Over the years she has had occasional fungal type redness around edges of her nose which was treated with fucibet. About 3 months ago it supposedly happened again but the cream didn't clear it up and it spread so red inflammation around nostril area which spread to chin and upper lip. Swabs came back clear doctor seemed to think acne / dry skin. My daughter is using sudacrem . The appearance at the moment is of some red blotches and small red pimples.She is also suffering from dry skin under her arms and on elbow and knee creases.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question. Is it possible to forward some photographs?

Customer:

Hi my daughter is trying to send a photo over. We will try once more.

Customer:

Full Size Image

dermdoc19 :

First, this looks more like peri-oral dermatitis than a fungal infection to my eye.

dermdoc19 :

She may have had seborrheic dermatitis as you describe an eruption around the nose area.

dermdoc19 :

It is possible that she has psoriasis now since you mention a rash around the elbows and knees, but I would certainly need a picture to determine that.

dermdoc19 :

Peri-oral dermatitis is best treated with an oral antibiotic ..Tetracycline 500 mg. twice a day is the best choice. This is not really an infection though but an eruption that occurs in young females. The antibiotic probably works by altering the normal skin flora.

dermdoc19 :

The response to oral Tetracycline is usually quite dramatic.

dermdoc19 :

I have to step out

dermdoc19 :

Perioral dermatitis is an eruption around the mouth which spares the area right next to the lips. It consists of patches and small papules and pustules. Nearly always occurs in women in the 18-35 age group.

dermdoc19 :

Topical steroids make this worse, so those should be avoided.

dermdoc19 :

Fucibet has steroid in it so should be avoided.

Customer:

would we have to get a prescription from a gp for the tetracycline?

dermdoc19 :

That is a prescription product, yes. But inexpensive.

dermdoc19 :

ome physicians feel that emollients are not a good idea with this condition and would recommend not using Sudacream. Topical clindamycin or topical sulfa/sulfur combination medications, however, would be helpful. Those are both prescription items.

Customer:

okay i shall get her booked in to see the gp

dermdoc19 :

Do mention this diagnosis to him/her so your daughter goes on the right track.

Customer:

yes i will thanks for your help

dermdoc19 :

Very welcome. Have a nice Christmas

Customer:

you too