Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Hi,I have developed small spots similar to acne below my

Customer Question

I have developed small spots similar to acne below my belly button, the are small, raised, pimple like. I saw a dr and was told they are a form of Staph. I took Flucloxacillin, which did not work. I have tried some natural, immune boosting medication such as garlic tablets, Bee Propelis and Echinacea but still the simptoms persist. Also my girlfriend has these appearing on her face.
What do you recommend
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--sorry for the delay but no dermatologist picked up on your question. Would it be possible to post a photo on this page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--and again sorry for the delay. These look like folliculitis--hair shaft infection. A more effective antibiotic would be Septra DS so please ask your doctor for a prescription for that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But these spots are now spreading on to my in places where there are no hair folicles.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but they do look like a strep or staph infection nonetheless. You need to ask your doctor for a prescription for Septra to take care of the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Th GP thinks it is Molluscum Contagiosum and has referred me for a second opinion. I mentioned Septra but he asked whther this was Septrium. He said that one of the spots may be Foliculitis. But antibiotics would be unlikely to clear Molluscum. Do you have any other ideas of tackling this? Other than waiting 18 months for things to take its course whilst the spots keep spreading and could appear in a more painful location.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Can you post me one more photo please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chip, I will try to send another photo. I am almost certain it is a Molloscum Contagiosum and have an appointment tomorrow with a sexual health clinic. My girlfriend also had a check and shows no symptoms but has shown and carrying a bacteria of some kind that is sexually transmitted. The problem is that I have not had unprotected sex with anybody other than her since Aug 2013. And that partner had checks carried out. My partner, whom I have been with since Nov 2014 had sexual health checks carried out in Aug 2014 and was clear.
So she is accusing me of cheating on her, which is not the case.
Whilst the bacteria can be passed on through sex. Is it possible that one of us contracted anything in a non sexual manner and passed it to the other during sex. My symptoms both started and spread within 24 hours of having sex with her. Even without the actually identifying bacteria/sti/infection can you tell me a possible cause/hypothesis other than sex with other partners which she could be the cause.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--actually molluscum is a virus and not a bacteria and usually these do resolve in a month or so, or they can be frozen by a dermatologist. They are transmissable to others so while one has them they should either indulge in protected sex with a condom or abstain from sex.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I made a mistake I have been with my partner since Nov2013. But of I have picked up the virus, is it possible for me to develop the virus in a form other than having sex with somebody else? Is it possible she is a carrier of the virus without showing symptoms and had passed them on to me. She also has suffered from thrush around 6 months ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's possible that she has the virus but without any molloscum lesions herself then she didn't give it to you. Kids can get these on their arms and legs without ever having sex.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, bearing in mind the symptoms (spots) flared up on me after sex, is it possible she is carrying and infecting me. Or is there something about the sex that could create a breading ground on my body that was already infected?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Actually it isn't very likely you got this from sex at all but it can be transmitted through sex so until these are taken care of you need to use a condom or abstain from sex
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi my girlfriend has also developed the spots now. I was trying to attach a photo but seem to be struggling.
But as a separate issue she was in the Ukraine and had a thorough test and was told that she has Eureaplasma. I had my blood taking and am been checked for the usual sexual viruses but have been told that the UK don't test for Eureaplasma. Why is this? But as she has been diagnosed we have ordered Doxycycline and a testing kit. She also has been diagnosed with Vaginitis. any idea on the possible way to cure?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's a somewhat rare bacteria that can cause STD's. The doxycycline should take care of it but you need to take it too
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have heard that it is quite common but the NHS don't test for it. Is this based on cost or belief that it is non harmful?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Probably it's a cost issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about children in the family? I understan it can be passed through kissing and coughing in someone's face.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No, it can't be transmitted that way. We need to close the page so please consider rating my service to you
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Here is the picture of the spot my girlfriend developed. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those do look like molluscum