dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

! I have been through so many cleansers

Customer Question

! I have been through so many facial cleansers and moisturizers and nothing has ever made me feel satisfied. I believe I have dry/ sensitive skin and recently I have been experiencing the off pimple and bumps on my face that never turn into a zit. I just want clear and even skin, and have been researching natural remedies, like the Oil Cleansing Method. I want to learn more about skin and things to look things to avoid in skin car. Any information would be great!
Thank you!!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

Thank you your question.

dermdoc19 :

Would you describe your present skin care regimen. Also, would you like over the counter recommendation or prescription products?

Customer:

At the moment I am using Keihls Ultra face cleanser and moisturizer. And I was just doing the cleanser and moisturizer morning and night. I would like over the counter recommendation.

dermdoc19 :

Ok. I will make my suggestions as natural as I can, though nearly all products have some ingredients that are not natural such as preservatives. I think skin care should be approached from both the outside and inside. Orally, I would recommend the following: CoffeeBerry 400 mg. a day; Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day, Zinc Gluconate 25 mg. a day; Lycopene 10 mg. a day, CO Q 10 100 mg. a day ( taken in the morning) and Vitamin E 200 I.U. a day. If you are vacationing in the sun add Heliocare.

dermdoc19 :

I suspect that some of the pimples and bumps may be an allergy or sensitivity to your skin care products. With that in mind, I would advise Hydrocortisone ointment 1% days.

dermdoc19 :

I believe Retinoids are very important. I would recommend either Neutragena Wrinkle Repair Night Moisturizer or Biopelle's Retriderm Strong to be used at night. You might try using either of these every other night first two weeks. Use a moisturizer each night. Place the moisturizer on first. I like Aveeno Ultra-calming Cream. In the morning put on either Skinceutical's C E Ferulic ( this is pricey) or either Aveeno Ultra-calming Cream or Aveeno Positively radiant.

dermdoc19 :

I would avoid anything that foams. Powder is better than liquid as far as makeup. Avoid ingredients with Isopropyl Myristate.

dermdoc19 :

I would be happy to answer further questions.

Customer:

I do have dry skin so something moisturizing would be great. Is aveeno positively radiant what I could use in the morning and night? I believe I used the aveeno cleanser maybe dint give it a good enough try

Customer:

Or were those moisturizers not cleansers suggestions?

dermdoc19 :

You could use it morning and night. It is a moisturizer with a sun screen. I actually like Cerave Moisturizing Cleanser better ....as a cleanser.

Customer:

I also have noticed my skin is a little more blotchy and uneven I think it is all my switching and products. And is it normal skin to go through a phase when you use a new product?

Customer:

I am not sure if this is a question , but toners and all that other added products that I am having people suggest to me are they really necessary?

Customer:

So what ingredients should I stay away from and which ones do I want to have in my products

Customer:

And why powder makeup more than Liquid?

Customer:

reading on the Cerva cleanser and it is recommended a lot cleansing and not a very deep cleansing

Customer:

I guess I want clear skin but who doesn't!

Customer:

should salicylic acid be used in a face wash?

dermdoc19 :

Toners are not necessary. They would only dry your skin out.

dermdoc19 :

Stay away from alcohol based products, or anything that is not hypo-allergenic.

dermdoc19 :

I do not believe in deep cleansing on a daily basis.

dermdoc19 :

Sal acid is OK in a face wash. It is especially good if you have clogged pores.

dermdoc19 :

Powder sits on top of the skin more than liquid.

dermdoc19 :

The skin can change with a new product but should adjust after two weeks.

Customer:

Now can i use a different one and night or use the same one

dermdoc19 :

The same one would be OK. As long as the morning one contains a sunscreen.

Customer:

Alright also exfoliaters? So I am in between aveeno or Neutrogena

dermdoc19 :

I really do not think they are needed with dry skin that seems to be easily irritated. Of course, the Retinoids exfoliate the skin quite nicely, but I would not use anything beyond that.

Customer:

Retinoids?

dermdoc19 :

Like Retinol which is found in Neutragena Wrinkle Relief

dermdoc19 :

This helps acne too of course.

Customer:

Oh ok wanted to make sure I didn't miss another product. So I should be good to you Cerva as a cleanser and night and use either aveeno or neutrogena as a moisturizer

dermdoc19 :

The Neutragena product I recommended is not a moisturizer, the Aveeno product is.

dermdoc19 :

Cerave is an excellent and inexpensive cleanser.

dermdoc19 :

Restores ceramides to the skin.

Customer:

Rapid Wrinkle Repair® Night Moisturizer

dermdoc19 :

Yes.

dermdoc19 :

It is well formulated.

Customer:

so this is not a moisturizer?

Customer:

Sorry I am a tad confused

dermdoc19 :

No

dermdoc19 :

It is to keep the skin smooth and blemish free. It also prevents aging which will be a concern later in life.

Customer:

Oh ok I thought it was this whole time

Customer:

So when would I use this

dermdoc19 :

The Neutragena product has some emollients in it but it is not a moisturizer.

dermdoc19 :

Only at night.

dermdoc19 :

The sun breaks it up.

dermdoc19 :

I know it is marketed but it contains Retinol which helps keep the skin clear. It will take 3-4 weeks to work though.

Customer:

So after cleansing with the Cerva use aveeno is the morning and neutrogena at night

Customer:

So best skin type is a non foaming cleanser

dermdoc19 :

Exactly...except wait 1/2 hour at night before applying the Neutragena product.

Customer:

1/2 hour after cleansing

Customer:

?

dermdoc19 :

Yes. wait skin to dry.

dermdoc19 :

It is not supposed to go on wet skin.

Customer:

Ok awesome so this should rid my skin of my off pimples and even out my skin tone while keeping it moisturized

dermdoc19 :

Hopefully...that is a good OTC routine.

Customer:

OTC

Customer:

Over the counter

dermdoc19 :

Sorry, over the counter

Customer:

Well I think that is all my questions now. Thank you very much help

dermdoc19 :

Very welcome.

Customer:

I will deffinetly

Customer:

definitely give these products a try

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI so I bought the three products you suggested Cerva cleanser Aveeno positively radiant moisturizer and neutrogena rapid wrinkle repair. Just started using them so don't have a opinion yet but my for head has been really drying out. Should I just give the moisturizer time. And should I put on a moisturizer after the neutrogena?