Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I am a 27 year old man. I have always had extremely thick hair.

I am a 27 year old man. I have always had extremely thick hair. In July 2014 after a short break abroad i noticed that i started to shed hair really rapidly. The hair had white little dots at the roots. This occurred after intense training at the gym and an extremely stressful period with work and family.
My hair finally stopped shedding probably last month January 2015. However, i am noticing that there are certain parts of my hair that are not growing at all. I.e, the same length since last time i had it cut (December 26th). Additionally, the overall texture has completely changed, it is dried out and much much thinner than it used to be.
My question really, i am not sure whether i have suffered from Telogen effluvium or MPB. I suspect it to be the first type of hair loss because it was extremely sudden and after a really stressful period both physically and mentally. If it is Telogen Effluvium, how long after the shedding am i likely to see my hair grow back? It seems to be taking a very long term. I have tried rubbing aloe vera on my head and making sure the scalp is extremely conditioned but my hair is still very dry/thin and no regrowth?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

If it is Telogen Effluvium, how long after the shedding am i likely to see my hair grow back?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It can take six months to a year after the hair stop falling for the hair to regrow back to normal

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I also think it is TE

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that your hair will regrow back to normal in due course of time

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The average time take for the hair to recover is six months.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thank you for the information.

I was wondering whether it is normal for the hair to completely change texture, it feels extremely dry and brittle very uncharacteristic. It is reassuring to learn that it will grow back. Is there anything natural i can take that can speed the process up a bit? I am not keen on using chemicals either internally or externally. I have been taking fish oils, pumpkin seed oil and multi vitamins. Is it possible that any supplements could be worsening the problem?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
It will most likely return back to its normal character slowly and gradually.
You can continue using what you are using.
They can only help, but there is no definitive evidence that these do help, but again there is no harm in using them.
There is no supplement that has been definitively proven in randomized controlled trials to help.
I would appreciate it if you rate me for my services.
Kindest regards