dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Three years ago I developed a hives rash along with an itchy

Customer Question

Three years ago I developed a hives rash along with an itchy anus. Over the three years, both became increasingly cronic, the hives rash appearing at random, sometimes really itchy and angry and all over the body, sometimes not. It would follow a pattern of arriving at a particular time of day and then not. Now, the rash has almost gone, occasionally returning mildly. However, the itching around the anus has continued to worsen. I have seen a dermatologist, have had a colonoscopy and seen a proctologist who removed an internal haemarroid. There do not appear to be any other haemarroids although there is a skin tag which itches a lot. The itching is spreading to other areas now. All creams including anti fungal, anti bacterial, steroid ointment relieve the itching for 20 minutes or so. I have tried not to scratch or rub, and I wash my bottom gently with water after passing stools to avoid rubbing but to no avail. During the day, it can disappear but come about 7 in the evening, I get this crawling itch, followed by 'ant bites' that make me spasm. I can't sleep because of it, usually until about 3 or 4 in the morning. This has gone on for months, years.
My GP says I should return to the dermatologist. I am at my wits' end with it. Could you please advise me as to what I should do or who I should see?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Let me just clarify
You have an itch now, crawling, spreading but no rash, is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your replies but I don't wish to continue with Just Answer.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
I have not given you a reply
I asked you to clarify your situation so that I can give you an extensive answer.
I don't have anything to do with set ups at JA
I use the site to answer questions from customers