dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have used pigmanorm cream in error last two

Customer Question

I have used pigmanorm cream in error for the last two days on my red acne spots ( recent pimples which have turned into new acne scars). The area and surrounding skin is intensely red and burning.
Will this subside? if so, how long will it take?
I'm worried I have damaged by skin permanently
Thanks,
Tracy
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Pigmanorm cream contains Hydroquinone and Tretinoin, each of which can be irritating. To help with the irritation, at this point, I would recommend Hydrocortisone ointment 1%. Apply this three times a day. After the initial redness and inflammation has subsided, I would advise you to use Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment. If your physician will prescribe Biafine emulsion, that would be better. Also, be sure to wear a sunscreen.

Customer:

I would be most pleased to answer further questions.

JACUSTOMER-o27slzl3- :

Will this be permanent? I am worried it has made my acne blemishes worse..

Customer:

What is your complexion?

Customer:

Well, if you have dark complexion the irritation can cause some dark spots to remain ( post-infammatory hyperpigmentation); otherwise very unlikely. It should take about 10 days to subside. Be sure not to use anything with Hydroquinone in it, if you are then treating the dark spots.

JACUSTOMER-o27slzl3- :

I have a white mid complexion but my skin marks for a long time before it heals. The areas are really red and widespread around the initial blemishes. A number of Dermabrasion treatments are usually the only method to get rid of the red acne marks.

Customer:

It probably will not leave scars then. Be sure to keep the area moisturized...in other words something on it at all times. This helps wounds heal.

Customer:

Biafine draws in macrophages, scavenger cells, and helps healing. Hydrocortisone will help with the inflammation so you should use that first.

JACUSTOMER-o27slzl3- :

Where can I get Biafine?

Customer:

Biafine is a prescription item so it would have to be gotten through your physician.

Customer:

Eucerin Aquaphor is over the counter.