dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

How do i keep my skin young

Customer Question

How do i keep my skin young
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

Customer:

Thank you for asking your question.

Customer:

Sun avoidance for one. Always use a good sunscreen. I like the idea of combining a sunscreen with a moisturizer and an anti-oxidant. Aveeno makes some very good products with this in mind. Products that are not too expensive too. Aveeno Positively Radiant is good as is Aveeno Ultra Calming cream. A higher end product would be RevaleSkin. This has coffeeberry ( green coffee extract) which is a very strong anti-oxidant. At night I would recommend another antioxidant such as Skinceuticals C,E and Ferulic and then apply a Retinoid. Somethins with Retinol is fine and this is over the counter. Neutragena Wrinkle Relief Night Cream would be the name of a good brand.

Customer:

Orally, I would advise you to take Vitamin C 500 mg. twice a day, Lycopene, CoffeeBerry ( 400 mg. a day) and CO Q 10 50 mg. a day.

Customer:

Intense PUlsed LIght treatment with the yellow wavelength twice a year will also help.

Customer:

It is good to start this regimen now when you are young then ask the same question when you are in your 60's when much of the damage has already been done.

Customer:

Feel free to get back to me with any questions.

JACUSTOMER-m4u99j9d- :

How do I get rid of acne scars

Customer:

That would depend on the type. Generally, subcision, in which the dermatologist cuts the tissue beneath the scar and then lifts up. But sometimes a filler called Belotero is very good, if they are not too numerous. The use of Radiofrequency devises or fractionated CO2 laser. Trichloracetic peels are very good too if the acne scars are widespread.

Customer:

Recent article using photodynamic therapy and light chemical peels showed that this is very effective. We have used this in our office. Photodynamic therapy: a liquid called Levulan is placed on the face which and goes to atyopical cells which are then zapped with light.

Customer:

Basically acne scarring occurs when their is abnormal wound healing after damage that occurs in the sebaceous follicle during acne inflammation. I am not sure what happened in your case. I fyou have hypertrophic scars...ones that are above the skin surface..then there was increased formation of tissue or there was actual damage to the tissue. The latter would cause what we term ice pick ( sharp, deep...the hardest to get rid of), rolling or boxcar scars. These are all atrophic scars. Some darker skinned people erroneously refer to scarring when they mean hyper-pigmentation.

Customer:

Microdermabrasion is a noninvasive, safe, relatively inexpensive, and somewhat efficacious treatment for shallow contour irregularities.

Customer:

The "gold standard" remains CO2 ablative laser. However, this causes the patient to look like a burn victim for a month, and can lead to a two tone look where the face looks pale compared to the neck and the rest of the body is normal color. For that reason most use the fractionated lasers ( Fraxel being a named brand) in which holes of laser are punched into the skin.. This allows much better healing and is much safer than the old CO2 laser.

Customer:

Radiofrequency devices shoot radio waves into the skin which causes the collagen to remove. Thus eliminating the scar.

Customer:

There was a paper in last month's Journal of Drugs in Dermatology in which an Israeli group developed a pneumatic instrument that shoots hyaluronic acid into the skin of the scars and thus gets rid of the acne scar. This was a study of two people. It seemed to give good results and was relatively painless. However, obviously this is still in a developmental phase. However, you might keep your eyes open in case of a research study.

Customer:

There is a product called L'Viv in which they take a biopsy behind the ear and grow fibroblasts in the lab. This is then implanted into the scar site and fill up the scar area. This is meant for the atrophic scars mentioned above.

Customer:

A group at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine in New York had success combining microdermabrasion with 20% Aminolevulinic acid followed by photodynamic therapy. as I mentioned above. They had significant improvement in 80% of their patients. There study was published in the May 2014 issue of the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology.

Customer:

If you could take the time to send a picture this way, I might be able to suggest which of the above treatments would be most appropriate for you.

Customer:

You can also get back to me with further questions.