dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have suddenly developed a small white lump under my right

I have suddenly developed a small white lump under my right eye. My doctor did not feel he could do anything about it as it is so near my eye. Is there a solution?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
dermdoc19 :

These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.

dermdoc19 :

dermdoc19 :

Thank you for asking your question. Is it possible to forward a photograph? If you would like me to attempt an answer without a photograph, please let me know.

Customer:

HELLO, I will try and take a selfie please bear with me.

Customer:

Sorry all I get is blur. If I can describe the pot maybe it will help. It is just below the lashes it is similar in shape to a mole but is white, a sort of luminous white!! It appeared out of the blue, no sign then one day it was there, it has grown lightly. It is painless unless I touch it with,my nail!

Customer:

I have to cook supper now, so if possible can you reply via my E Mail? *****@******.***. I am not sure how to come back to this section but will try if I don;'t get an email.

Customer:

I believe I didn't leave the correct E mail when I first accessed the site, I no will repeat the correct one *****@******.***

dermdoc19 :

Maybe the best idea would be for you to take a selfie or have someone and send to***@******.***

dermdoc19 :

Do not pick this open yourself since it may cause an infection which is an especially bad thing around the eye. Also, it might come back anyway. So you are correct it can be highly dangerous. I look forward to seeing the picture.

Customer:

Thank you for the advice. I can ask someone to take a photo but there may be a delay in my sending it over to you. I am not sure how I go about this. Any help re the sending of photo would be gratefully received.

dermdoc19 :

It is pretty easy using this method. You can also try by clicking on the paper clip icon and uploading.

dermdoc19 :

Take your time. A good photograph is very helpful.

Customer:

I have (hopefully sent two photos via E Mail. Hope you can see them O.K. Bit of a learning experience here if nothing else!

Customer:

thanks, ***** ***** you reply.

dermdoc19 :

It does take awhile before we get them. You will be informed when they hit my e mail box.

dermdoc19 :

The pictures arrived. This is an epidermal inclusion cyst. This is sometimes called a "sebaceous cyst". This develops from a plugged up pore. This is actually quite easy to remove. The area under the eye is actually an easy area to work with but I would recommend you consult a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for this. The white substance that you can see is keratin. Occasionally this can go away on its own by using warm compresses. Compress twice a day for ten minutes. Usually this does not work, but there is no harm in trying.

dermdoc19 :

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer:

Thank you so much for both your patience and your advice. Which I will take. Best wishes, Roberta Foote

Customer:

It won't let me Rate You as it says you have not finished answering. I will return and raste you certainly an Excellent Service.

dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology