Dermadoc
Dermadoc, Board Certified Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, DNB DERMATOLOGY
19010125

nails deteriorating, over period of time. starts off with orange

Customer Question

nails deteriorating, over period of time. starts off with orange type of colour, then splinter hemorrhages then thickening on some nails and on other nails white hollow patch that starts from the top and is working its way down until my nail disappears (not got this far yet) but i can see it progressing
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Have you had an exam?
Any other medical problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi not had an exam and no other medical exams as such.

have heavy itching around groin area for a few years now and been scratching it hard at night with the affected hand.... had some slight signs of psoriasis type plaques in that area too but they have gone now with hydrocortisone cream

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
We do not replace a doctors visit, nor do we diagnose or treat.
Do you have a picture of your nails?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Those are not splinter hemorrhages, that looks like fungal infection.
The medications you have used are not typically effective.
None of the treatments you have used.
This needs to be sampled for the lab, you need prescription medicine; at this point maybe even oral medications.
The nails need to be attended to by a specialist at this point.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi i would like to speak to dermdoc19 if possible for a more detailed answer please

thank you

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Derm doc is not on.
What other details do you need
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can wait for him if possible, iv dealt with him before and actually clicked my question in his box... so no offence, i dont know how its come to you... sorry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i am willing to hear from any other dermatologist too....

Expert:  Dermadoc replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for posting your query.
I can understand your concern.
I am a dermatologist and I would be glad to assist you.
I have reviewed the pictures and I would like to diagnose this as tinea unguium which is an infection caused by the fungus dermatophytes.
Since you also provided the history that you had an itchy flaky rash in the groins,
it correlates with the diagnosis of fungal infection of the nails.
Its very common to get tinea cruris or jock itch as it's commonly referred to and also get fungal infection of the nails.
The changes I see in your nails are seen in tinea unguium.
The treatment for it would be taking tab. Lamisil for a period of 3 to 4 months.
Its a medication that would require a prescription from your doctor.
I would also recommend treating the rash in your groins with lamisil cream twice daily for 3 weeks. It's available over the counter.
I will be happy to answer all your queries to the best of my abilities. Please let me know in case you have any queries.
Take care