Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

A raised medium brown mole on dry skin on my toe came up, then

A raised medium brown mole on dry skin on my toe came up, then fell off. I saw dermatologist today who looked at the spot & said it was fine & probably a blood clot. But I think it was the wrong colour to be a clot, too pale, and she seemed distracted (initially she started looking at the wrong toe!). What should I do? I want to get a biopsy but feel funny asking for one when the mole already fell off. I do have a picture of where the mole was. Thanks.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--very sorry for the delay but your question just became available to me. If you can post the photo on this page I'll be happy to look at it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. So this is raised and not flat? And what exact;y did you mean by its falling off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** was raised.

Two days before my appointment, I had a shower and after the shower the mole was no longer on my skin. The skin was very dry and scale where the mole was, so I think the mole must have come off in the shower along with some dead skin.

Now I can't see any brown on the area at all now. The dermatologist who looked at the area where the mole used to be said there was a tiny bit of a 'blood clot' left but that the large mole must have been a blood clot. But I just thought it was the wrong colour to be a blood clot. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this if you'd like but I don't agree that that was a clot. It may just simply have been a benign keratosis but it could also have been a mole. It does definitely look benign but if I were the doctor I would biopsy that area just to make sure this wasn't a melanoma. Even with nothing much left to see there, if it were a melanoma the biopsy would show that
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems