DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

What else can I try to get rid or even just lessen the red

Customer Question

What else can I try to get rid or even just lessen the red itchy spots appearing more and more here and there! Sometimes the itching keeps me awake and just HAVE to scratch til the area eventually bleeds then the spot manifests and stays there for good! Have tried recently putting ICE on the area when it becomes itchy...which does help but it's hard keeping the ice attached whatever area! I have only spoken to my own GP and been prescribed Eumovate to begin with.. then a few months ago it was changed to Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%.
I've had spots for years but they are definately getting worse..
We go on Holiday every year and now starting to think I'll be embarrased to 'Flash the flesh' so to speak! .I have taken some pictures that hopefuly I can send..Thanks in advance and fingers crossed! Dave
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Yes sure please send me the pictures here. You can do this as follows;
1. Click the paperclip icon
2. Click the Browse icon
3. Click the Browse button
4. Select your file and click Open
5. Click OK
6. Click Insert
7. Click Save Changes on this page
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. As per symptoms and pictures there can be few causes like fungal skin infection, dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis etc. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations one can mix over the counter available 1% hydrocortisone cream with over the counter available clotrimazole cream and then apply them twice daily on the lesions. Moreover apply over the counter available (OTC) calamine lotion over the affected areas twice daily. Lastly take OTC tab claritin once daily. All these measures will help you a lot in getting rid of severe itching and the lesions might get better as well. If symptoms persist, see your dermatologist but hopefully you will feel better soon. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I don't think you should do any home treatment, or any treatment not prescribed by your doctor.

In fact, NO treatment until these spots are biopsied for the lab.

You have had them for years.

They are no psoriasis, they do not look like eczema, and certainly not fungal.

They are probably autoimmune, but from what condition.

A simply punch biopsy will show if these are

autoimmune

rare skin condition

infectious

allergic

etc.

That is what you should do next.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/