Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have dry flakey skin on my penis and surrounding areas

Customer Question

Hello, I have dry flakey skin on my penis and surrounding areas such as my scrotum, bellow my scrotum, my very inner thighs and above my penus in my public hair region. Other symptoms are itching (especially at night times), burning when touched in some areas and I have a lot of scabs on my penis (they look like the skin has cracked). Also my foreskin seems to get tight that it hurts when I try to peel if back (it looks dry). My urine seems to smell strong sometimes. My genital area also smells too. I've had this condition for over 2 months now and doesn't seem to be getting better. I've used all sorts of creams such as over the counter eczema cream and several different moisturisers. I am now currently using canesten 1% cream, which I have been using 3 times a day for 4 days now but it doesn't look like it's working well. I masturbate at least once a day and I consume a lot of beer through out the week. I don't drink much water and I consume a lot of sugar in my diet especially energy drinks and coffee.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

flaky dry itchy skin sounds like a gential fungal infection

fungus likes to grow in the private and genital areas because of the warmth and moisture and darkness there.

canesten is clotrimazole 1% antifungal cream.

this has to be used 2-3 times a day for 4-6 weeks to clear skin fungal infections so it can take a long time

and if you sweat and have moisture in your groin area, the canesten might not be enough

you might need prescription nystatin antifungal powder to help keep the area dry

do you have a doctor you can see or a GP who can look at your skin ?