Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Good afternoon! time now I have had what look like

Customer Question

Good afternoon! For some time now I have had what look like blisters forming on my right calf. Initially when the skin was red, hot and painful and prior to the blisters my Dr said it was cellulitis, he prescribed Zinnat tablets and an anti-bacterial cream, Fucibet. They did the trick as regards ***** ***** Later he prescribed Double Base gel to keep the skin moisturised. Then the blisters started. I read online that this could be venous, or is it vascular ezcema and he confirmed that and said to continue with the Double Base.
Some time last year I was referred to a surgeon ref a hammer toe on my right foot. He said he woukdn't operate whilst I had cellulitis and he referred me to a Vascular Surgeon. He tested my leg and said the Saphenous vein was not working properly but if it was lasered another vein would take over its work, the redness and blisters would disapoear in time. He asked if I ever experienced breathlessness and when I said I did but not badly he said that would disapoear also. I remarked that I had thought the breathlessness was due to being overweight but he said it was due to the blood not circulating properly.
I had the laser treatment in October which was successful but here I am six months later with no visible improvement to my leg which to my eye, looks worse than before. I have tried another anti bacterial cream which the vascular surgeon recommended to no effect, a cream fir ezcema to no effect and also aloe vera cream and coconut oil all to no effect. The skin is tight, my legs ache, despite all the moisturising in the world the skin becomes dry very quickly and peels, sometimes the blisters break. My left leg is now going the same way.
I had a revision appointment with the vascular surgeon who recommended I go back to my Dr. and ask to be referred to a dermatologist and cardiologist for the continued bresthlessness. He was himself sure there was nothing wrong with my heart, it was a precaution. My Dr felt the same but I did have an ECG nevertheless, no problems discovered. I am still waiting to see the dermatologist. Meanwhile my Dr prescribed Clarithromycin tablets which reduced the redness a little but when the course was over the skin reverted to red again. I have also been taking Paroven capsules for some time. The Vascular surgeon is mystified as to why my keg has not improved and nowagrees with me about my being breathless being due to my weight.
I can do something about my weight but not about my legs. I am wearing compression stockings to try to relieve the heaviness. So, do you think I have a mixture of cellulitis and ezcema, is the latter caused internally or have I suddenly become allergic to something, would a dermatoligist be able to help - I am thinking of seeing one privately. i am now getting a pricking sensation in my legs and am really concerned. Apologies for this lengthy description but thought it best to give you a detailed history.
Many thanks for your help.
I
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

From your description, it sounds more like chronic inflammation of the skin because of poor venous drainage, called stasis dermatitis, along with some secondary infection.

If you have a picture to attach, I may be able to provide further analysis.

You are already doing much of the usual interventions for stasis dermatitis, such as the compression stockings. The other interventions that may help include regular exercise of the legs, such as walking. There also is a supplement that may be able to help, called horse chestnut.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is there any medication or creams that .I should be using that are better than the ones already tried? I will get some horse chestnut supplement. I remember reading about it yearsago but I didn't have a problem then!
I am at work now so cannot take a photo but will do so lateron today.
Topical medicines or creams typically do not treat stasis dermatitis, although they may relieve symptoms. In your situation, a moisturising cream would be most important. The double base is a good product, but other moisturising creams can also be tried, such as LacHydrin or Iodophor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have just replied to you but mymessage keeps disappearing. Is there an email address which I can use and to which I can send photo as normal method of sending a photo does not work in this window. Many thanks.
The system will typically block personal e-mail addresses.

The usual method is to use the icon on the toolbar that looks like a paper clip. Full instructions are at ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert. If that does not work, then you can place the picture on a file sharing site and let me know the URL. It is an option to send it to the e-mail for justanswer, which is at the bottom of the above instruction page and will then be forwarded to me, but that may take longer, so the above options would be preferable.