DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have started getting large dark patches of skin

Customer Question

I have started getting large dark patches of skin discoloration on my face. It is getting worse. Mostly on my cheeks (upper cheek bones) and top part of my forehead, I grew up in the Caribbean therefore I presume it is sun damage. How can I get rid of this please? I have used Clinic products but has been a waste of money.

I have to use concealers and bronzers every day as the patches are so large they are hideous and depressing.  I use to have very clear skin and used practically no makeup.

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
If it is from skin damage there is no way over the counter you are going to get rid of this.
You need to see a dermatologist for a hydroquinone based cream at prescription strength with careful monitoring by the doctor.
There are other techniques as well, such as microderm abrasion and laser.
But that is only you have an exam and diagnosis.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.