dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My hair from the middle towards the back is very healthy and

My hair from the middle towards the back is very healthy and strong, but from the middle towards the front is the weakest and hardly much hair there at all.
A friend of mine told me is because am now 65 years old, and it will never grow back, is this true? and if it's not true what can I do to help me with this problem.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
These answers are for informational purposes and do not replace a physician head-to-head visit. A patient-physician relationship is not established.
I would be happy to examine a photograph if possible. You should be evaluated for thyroid disease, iron level ANA ( anti-nuclear antibodies if you have joint pain), and renal and liver function to be sure there is not an internal cause.
For starters I would recommend Rogaine for women which now comes in 5% and is quite effective.I would also use some hair vitamins either Viviscal or Elon's Matrix 5000. Elon also sells hair serum and shampoo which will coat the hair you have and make it thicker.
Since you are post-menopausal, Propecia ( Finasteride) mich be of benefit. An Italian study showed this was very effective with your type of problem when given at a dose of 4 mg. a day. This is an off label indication.
As said, I would be happy to examine a photograph and provide more specific information for you.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have taken few pictures of the affected area of my head, I am not sure if it did attachments will come through, if not I'll try another way.

I look forward to hearing from you, and hoping to hear how you can help me.

Yan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my email reply with the pictures?

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you for the pictures. I have a few more questions.
Where did the hair loss begin?
Is there a family history of hair loss?
Have you been evaluated for medical causes such as thyroid problems, low iron?
Any symptoms besides hair loss?
Have you lost any of your eyebrows?
Did you have scaling while you were losing your hair?
Answering these questions for me will be very helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still have my eyebrows, I think my hair loss was made worse because I was weaving my hair for quite a few years without giving it a sufficient break in between weaves. Also the weakness around the hair lines is a family history! but not this bad.

I have never been tasted for thyroid or low iron before, and never had scaling either.

Yan.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Most likely with this history you have traction alopecia. This is caused by aconstant stress on the hair follicle. I considered fibrosing frontal alopecia but this is usually accompanied by a loss of eyebrows and the pictures you sent docorrespond to that diagnosis.
The new Women's strength Rogaine for women will help as will cortisone injections into the area. I would recommend the Matrix 5000 vitamins that I mentioned earlier. I would evaluate iron levels and check thyroid too.
If this bothers you enough, hair transplants using a technique called follicular unit extractions may be used too.
Obviously you do not want to employ any hair styles which will put stress on your hair follicles.
I would be happy to answer further questions.
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience: 30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology