dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I've been prescribed Tazarotene acne. I have a lot

Hi, I've been prescribed Tazarotene for my acne. I have a lot of lesions on my back and arms too.
Is it safe to apply Tazarotene to large areas of the body? I suffered bad side effects on accutane (depression) when I was on that a couple of years ago, so am concerned that applying Tazarotene to large areas might result in systemic side effects of retinoids?
Any advice most welcome.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question. The concern I would have would be in regards ***** ***** Tazarotene is a Category X, which means that under no circumstances should you become pregnant while using this product. While there certainly is a possibility that Accutane may cause depression, the amount absorbed should not be a problem in this regard. The amount absorbed would be less than eating a carrot, so I would not worry about it. You dermatologist might consider photodynamic therapy as an alternative if you are nervous. This would entail applying a liquid called Levulan, which then goes down to the sebaceous glands. After a 16 minute wait, the area undergoes Ultraviolet light and the oil glands are zapped.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
I would be happy to answer further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is really helpful, thank you. My doctor has also prescribed lymecycline, which seems to be helping - but I'm concerned that the spots will just come back when I stop taking the antibiotics?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
The acne seems to stay away longer with the light therapy I mentioned. Of course, Accutane, generally can squelch the acne for good but you did not tolerate it. I am afraid generally acne treatment needs to last as long as nature decides to keep giving you acne. Your physician might consider low dose Doxycycline such as Periostt 20 mg. twice a day. This does seems to help with acne and yet does not cause side effects since it does not kill bacteria.