dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have had this lesion around 18 months or aslong as I can

Customer Question

I have had this lesion around 18 months or aslong as I can remember, It has never really changed but I am quite worried, I am 22 years old, with around 4-5 overall sunburns in my life
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question. Also, thank you for having the foresight to send a picture. Is there a family history of melanoma or other skin cancer? Have you had a previous skin biopsy? Are there other moles you are concerned about?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had no family history of melanoma, my grandfather had basal cell carcinoma at the age of 85 after years of sun exposure, my sun exposure is limited, my father has a few aytypical molesthis has been on my chest for aslong as I can remember
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I think a simple biopsy would be a good idea. While this does not look like melanoma, it does look atypical and would warrant a simple biopsy. This would do three things: 1) It would get rid of the mole 2) it would tell you whether you have a tendency to develop atypical moles 3) It would tell you if this sort of mole is running in your family. Your dermatologist could also use a dermatoscope which could tell him/her whether you have other moles which are atypical. This is a light source that gives a mole a different visual perspective than just the naked eye. Most of it use them all the time.
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
I would be happy to answer further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this. I am due to see a my dermatologist in 2 weeks so I am hoping he will take it off. Can I please ask.. if this has been here for over 2 years and not changed (if only very slightly) is that a good sign that it hasn't changed?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Very good sign. Nearly all melanomas will show changes.