dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My GP has diagnosed Lichen Sclerousus mainly in my groin.

Customer Question

My GP has diagnosed Lichen Sclerousus mainly in my groin. I am using steroid cream. Is there any reason why I should not go swimming as it is not contagious
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question.There should be no reason not to go swimming. One suggestion would be to add an alpha hydroxy acid to the steroid regimen. This thickens the somewhat atropic skin of Lichen Sclerosus et Atrophicus and helps obviate some of the problems with steroids. It is found over the counter in a product called AmLactin. You should be able to find a discount coupon for this product by going on line.I would be happy to answer further questions for you. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what other parts of the body might LS affect? eye lids for instance. Inner elbow or knee, back?
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 2 years ago.
I apologize for the delay but the Just Answer people are no longer informing us when a patient has responded.To answer your question, involvement of the eyelid would be extremely rare ( I could not find a report of it in the literature). The back is fairly common, but unusual on the elbow and knee. In the non genital areas, lichen sclerosus does not carry the possibility of malignant transformation.