Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus and I

Customer Question

I have recently been diagnosed with lichen sclerosus and I am really scared for the shrinking of the vulva which has already started a bit. What can I do to minimise the shrinking? And where does it stop? Many thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

Topical steroids are the most effective treatment for lichen sclerosus and can help restore normal texture to genital tissue and prevent further inflammation and changes in vulvar structures. High-potency steroids, applied once or twice a day, can be used safely in the genital area, with monthly examinations early in treatment to evaluate the patient's response - See more at: http://www.drexelmedicine.org/patient-services/obstetrics-and-gynecology/vaginitis-center/about-vulvar-lichen-sclerosus/#sthash.mgCVwPLp.dpuf
topical steroids are the most effective treatment for lichen sclerosus of the vulvar and vagina and can help restore normal texture to genital tissue and prevent further inflammation and changes in vulvar structures

high potency steroids can be applied once or twice a day and can be used safely in the genital area, with monthly examinations early in treatment to evaluate the patient's response

if you are close to menopause or after menopause, vaginal atrophy can also occur with declines of your body's estrogen levels. vaginal estrogen creams can also help fight vaginal atrophy after menopause.

have you tried any vaginal steroid creams or estrogen creams so far?