dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a sore on the side of my nose which has been there for

Customer Question

I have a sore on the side of my nose which has been there for about 9 months. it has a scab on it which has come off on the pillow or in the shower many times.I have tried healing creams on it but it refuses to heal. it feels as it something is gnawing at my nose. I have been to my GP & am on the urgent waiting list. I am now told I won't be seen before Sept. The sore is now weeping & smelling. Can you at least tell me what it is.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.
HelloI suspect from your description that this is a basal cell carcinoma. A photograph will help me determine that if you are able to send one. While this is unlikely to be life-threatening, it would be prudent to consult with another dermatologist who can see you earlier, a general surgeon or a plastic surgeon. I would advise asking to speak to the physician them self and bypass the secretary. Ask for the physician to call you back. Usually, the physician will schedule: it is the secretaries who are a road block. Or ask the secretary to call you as soon as a vacancy occurs. Nearly all of us, have same day cancellations and would be happy to work a patient in. Again, I would be happy to look at a photograph. Feel free to ask further questions.