Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have diagnosed peri oral dermatitis- it first appeared after

Customer Question

I have diagnosed peri oral dermatitis- it first appeared after using a clay mud mask- which was confirmed in April after two unhelpful doctors attempted to tell me it was a bacterial infection, then fungal! It comes up as redness and itchy areas and then I get tiny vesicles that go away once popped, but hurt quite a lot in the mean time.
Finally someone less arrogant listened to me (I am a vet so I know what I'm talking about when I say it's not bacterial or fungal! Jeez!) and gave me Elidel cream to which it was responding really well. But two months ago it started flaring up when I moved to England and changed my face moisturiser from body shop vitamin e daily face with spf to their other ranges- going back made no difference and now the Elidel is barely containing it. I'm taking 50mg of doxycycline SID (cannot take minocycline as gave me migraines in April). I'm using hydromol moisturiser as not able to find anything else in the pharmacies here in England. Any suggestions? Oral prednisolone helps when taking it but results in seriously bad flare when I stop treatment. I'm considering getting a referral to a dermatologist but I can't go for a good month or so as I am a locum, so if I can get on top of it before then that would be good.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry to hear about this
Tacrolimus cream would be my suggestion as an alternative for this. Oral tretinoin would be the other. You'd have to have your doctor prescribe one of those
Let me know if you need any more information please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For reasons unknown to me I seem to have gotten results using Lucas pawpaw ointment. I know it's mostly petroleum jelly- but my skin is the best it's been in months. Go figure.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Emollients are fine but they aren't medication--I'd still suggest you try my suggestions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm already using pimecrolius (elidel) which was not achieving control (see my original post). How is tracrolimus any different? If there is a difference i will try it.I only put the pawpaw on as the skin was dry and flaky, but frankly since I've done that I've had no more spots and the skin is virtually normal again so I'm just going to keep doing it for now!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tacrolimus is similar to pimerolimus but it is stronger.
But for now it sounds like you don't need anything more
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the suggestion. If it flares up again I shall request the stronger medication .
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you