Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I have a comedome and it has either become inflammed or infected

Customer Question

I have a comedome and it has either become inflammed or infected in the last 24 hours.
A patch of skin next to the black comedome is a deep red and then this morning there was a red ring - about one and a half inches - around the comidome.
There has always been a bit of a hard swelling at the base of the visible comedome but this has got larger in the last few months.
My GP diagnosed it & said about 3 weeks ago - when not inflammed/infected - that it was better left and not removed. However, if there is a risk of infection via it then I want it removed.
And I will see a medic on Monday - imnpossible to see a doctor here at the weekend. (I have phoned the NHS helpline who said it was probably OK to leave it until Monday.)
Is it common for these to become infected and have a growth in the swelling below it under the skin?
Thanks, Gill
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gill. This is quite common with infected comedones and although it will be OK to wait until tomorrow for it to be evaluated, you'll need a course of antibiotics for now and once the infection is cleared the comedone can be easily and safely surgically removed Let me know if you need more information please