Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

I would like to speak to a dermatologist please

Customer Question

Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. There are no dermatologists online right now so can I help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am worried about a mole on my big toe. It is about 7mm long and 3mm wide. It has two shades in it and the borders are irregular. The shape is a little strange, with two spikes coming from the top.

On the positive side, I have had it for at least 14 years and I don't believe it has changed much, possibly just a slight darkening of the tip but even that isn't new. The pigmentation is also in the furrows, not the ridges, which I read is a benign sign.

What do you think? It it was melanoma would it be changing rapidly and in more obvious ways?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Will.
Is it completely flat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would say so. The bottom bit might be a tiny bit raised but negligible.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Doesn't look at all malignant and the fact it hasn't changed much in years adds to that conclusion. Most likely just a benign keratosis but since I can't examine you the best policy would be to have a doctor actually look at it.

Let me know if you need any more information Will
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I asked my doctor about it 14 months ago. He said it's fine. He still think so. But I saw a dermatologist who said the pigmentation is in the ridges. My doctor and I disagree. We think i's a parallel furrow pattern, therefore benign. I wondered your take on that? I am seeing another dermatologist soon but I am trying to keep my anxiety in check in the meantime. Melanoma changes a lot, and fast, right?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, melanoma doesn't usually act like this. I think it's entirely benign but the only way to prove that would be a biopsy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you also think the pigmentation is in the furrows?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last thing - I looked up keratosis but it isn't like the descriptions of Seborrheic keratosis, Is keratosis something different? Do you just mean a mole?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No a keratosis isn't a mole and quite frankly I don't think this is a mole. But an exact diagnosis would take a biopsy. There are a variety of keratoses
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can they be malignant?

Also, my GP and the derm thought it was a mole. If it is a mole and not a keratosis, do you still consider it benign?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No they aren't malignant.
If this is a mole then it doesn' look at all malignant to me
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience: Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your patience. I really appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure--call on me any time