Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, General pratice
Experience:  Years of outpatient experience treating dermatological problems
18722459

Sorry, long query but I'm a mother tired of watching my adult

Customer Question

Sorry, long query but I'm a mother tired of watching my adult daughters health go down while only being able to watch from the sidelines - advice please!
Daughter has large,deep,suppurating sore on crown of head, for over a year now - thinks it originated from insect bite under cycle helmet, has lost the hair around site, has had several courses of the 'usual' antibiotics from her GP - amoxicillin etc with no effect.
Eventually, after a year of being ill,catching every virus around,exhausted&feeling she was going mad - she is normally a super fit marathon runner,but health has deteriorated so much she has even had to take time off work, something she would never do - her GP recently agreed to take bloods (but not a wound swab for some reason, which would have seemed the obvious test to me)
Bloods showed massively raised white cell count - lymph glands have been enlarged for a long time.
She has just recovered from a bad bout of tonsillitis - again, something she would never normally succumb to and had to take two weeks off work.
So frustrated, she has seen another GP privately, who of course immediately took a wound swab which shows MRSA in the head wound, which I would imagine has been there for the past year.
My query is - she has only been prescribed Fluclox.bd for 6wks, which she has had before but only a 2wk course - would not Erythromycin be a more effective choice??
Sincerely
Mrs Rosalind Sheppard
Devon,UK
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mrs Rosalind Sheppard,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi and very sorry for the delay. While the Fluclox might be effective, for MRSA I'd use a four week course of either Septra DS or a ten day course of Levaquin. Let me know if you need more information please