Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am a 33 year old male residing in the United Kingdom,

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 33 year old male residing in the United Kingdom, London.
I am deeply distressed about a peculiar skin condition I have had for a numerous amount of years. Firstly, I applied ample amounts of the product "Vaseline" (petroleum jelly) on my face, resulting in my skin to stretch into my jaw line; at the time, I thought it was just an aging process. Eventually, I realised the "Vaseline" was having an adverse reaction on my skin, so I immediately stopped using it. Subsequently, the skin seemed to be reverting back but very slowly and my skin had stretched quite considerably. It has been years since the application and it still has not reverted back to what my face should be. I am very depressed about my situation, please help me with a solution to help expedite or cure this matter. Thank you
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
HiThere is no known medical condition that would have vaseline do this to you.Can you attach a picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no immediate physical indifference to my skin that would help you in study. It is an exponential change in my countenance from the morphing of my skin due to re structuring.
I assure you, I have no psychological problems either that would warp my sense of perception.
(Previous response in 2007)
Dear Alfie82,
"Vaseline is a petroleum based product (yes -petroleum! the same base substance that cleaners and gasolines are derived from). Many people have allergic type reactions to petroleum based products. At the same time, petroleum jelly has a high occlusivity - meaning it so coats the skin that the skin cannot breathe or get rid of the toxic buildup via pores, as the body intended. These buildups of toxins can cause severe dermatological problems, even more devastating to those particularly sensitive! The best thing for you to do would be to consult a dermatologist (a specialist in disorders of the skin) for the newest in personal care techniques and substances to help your skin heal as fast as possible.
In the meantime - eat well, drink well (lots of water!), get a good vitamin supplement, and do healthy things for your body."
......................................................................
I have been to see a dermatologist in this regard but they could not draw any conclusions on the matter and I cannot afford to go back for further study.
What is your exact question at this point.We answer questions.We do not replace your doctor.We do not diagnose or treat...that is stated up front on the site
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you believed in what I was saying was true, what would you say has happened and do you think it is treatable? If so, what treatments would you recommend for this to repair/expedite issue?
I have searched the literature and there is no reported case of vaseline having a long term effect as you describeI have asked for a photo but you say, essentially, it would not show anything that is abnormal.Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but I shall send you some photos nonetheless.
I see nothing abnormal here, and nothing that could medically be stated to be related to the use of vaseline.The bumps on the one side are typical of milia and are harmless.I suggest you work with a dermatologist to assuage your fears.In addition, the idea that there is something grossly wrong here, and that vaseline caused it, is simply incorrect, and I suspect the notion is psychological.I suggest you see a cognitive behavioral psychologist in this regard. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did mention it would not be visibly noticeable. My face changes its structure over periods of time as my skin renews; I am certain it is not psychological. If hypothetically you believed what was happening to my skin was as I say it was. What would you recommend?
There is no condition
There is not treatment.
Skin looks normal.
We do not treat on this site.
I would typically recommend dermatology evaluation under magnification, and biopsy of any lesions, which gives lab information.
And I still recommend psychological evaluation.