Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently had a hip replacement after which my leg swelled.This

Customer Question

I have recently had a hip replacement after which my leg swelled.This has nearly all gone down to the state where the calf is still hard and there are very small 'spots/pimples' from the ankle up the calf which occasionally itch and appear to be spreading slowly. A similar effect but to a much smaller degree is on the other leg
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David
these small red spots and pimples could be from small broken blood vessels close to the skin.
these are often called petechiae vs telangiectasias
elevating your legs up above your heart as often as you can in a recliner can help decrease swelling
massage therapy to help push up fluid out of your legs can help
also wearing elastic compression stockings can help as well push fluid out of your lower legs.
make sure you eat lots of protein in your diet for your liver to make adequate albumin protein which helps keep fluid inside of the blood vessels and not into the soft tissues.
are you elevating your legs regularly?
have you had your blood albumin levels checked?
have you tried compression stockings on your legs?