Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good eveningI would like your expert opinion or advice

Customer Question

Good evening
I would like your expert opinion or advice on how to deal with a dry and hard skin on my face.
Four years ago, I mistakenly used a shampoo (head and shoulders-anti dandruff shampoo) as a lotion and applied it on my face. I had it there for the whole day until I had a bath. I basically used it as a regular lotion for about 4 days. I eventually started to feel some burns on my face and later found out that my skin has been irrated. I did use to itch initially but that has stopped.
My main issue is that since then, it has been noticed that some parts of my face are harder in texture than the rest and it also gets very dry.
Do you know of any solutions? Any lotions or cream I can apply to deal with it?
Daniel
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 12 months ago.
This is Dr. David
it is doubtful that head and shoulders shampoo applied to your face 4 years ago would be causing parts of your face being harder in texture than others.
as we all get older, we can have parts of our face showing signs of aging.
creams like Mederma can reduce scar tissue and hardness on the face.
if the skin gets very dry, you need to be using lotion more often on your face.
after you wash your face with soap, you need to apply lotion every time.
soap can dry your skin.
thicker moisturizers like Goldbond or Aquafore or Eucerin or Lubriderm could help keep your skin moist and softer
let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you. Well ever since o used that shampoo, my face has been hard and dry. I'm currently on a number of medications though, but I started taking those medications years after the shampoo incident.The lotions you have mentioned are not ones I'm familiar with in uk pharmacies.Do you know of any alternative that I can easily find at UK retailers?
they sell all of those creams at drug stores at your UK pharmacies.
they have Mederma creams to decrease scar tissue
they have aquafore thick moisturizer for moisturizing
they have Lanolin ointment as a thick moisturizer
you can bring these ointment names to your pharmacy and chemist and ask them
I'm sure they can find some creams which are similar and local for you
let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me again:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Fantastic. Amazed by your knowledge.Finally, for over 10 years I have suffered some itching around my genital area. The area feels good when itching it and often I get sore after some time. I have tried some eszema creams but I still get tempted to touch the area when it's itches even when I'm applying creams on it, it's so irresistible.It's just around the scrotum and some parts of the penis. Do you have any ideas on how to deal with it; any lotions or creams that would sort it out?And if I may ask too, do you know of any skin brightening creams? I'm really dark and would want something that would make me a bit brighter. Any ideas?
the most common cause of itching is from excessive moisture causing a fungal infection in the groin area.
if the area is moist, you should keep the area dry with powder, like talc powder or corn starch based powder
you can also try over the counter antifungal creams, like clotrimazole
skin lightening can be difficult to do. avoid sun exposure is best.
there are over the counter skin brightening creams with bleach you can try
they can be at the pharmacy as well