Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Doctor,I have a dry patch on the back of my head

Customer Question

Hello Doctor,
I have a dry patch on the back of my head (lower left) Ive tried different creams and they seem to make the itching worse. I do have dandruff and i do use special shampoo to treat it. It does seem to take care of the itchiness but only for a couple of days.
I do have a picture of the dry area and i want to know what its called.
Thank you in advance,
Onur
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do itch more if i am going through stress.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.
This is Dr. David
thank you for the question and photo
that looks like it could be bad eczema or psoriasis of the scalp or possibly an area of seborrheic dermatitis
you need to see a dermatologist and get a skin biopsy to know for sure.
you might need stronger prescription steroid creams and antifungal creams to help clear it up
over the counter treatments don't sound like they are strong enough for this situation.
do you have a doctor who can refer you to see a dermatologist for a skin biopsy there?
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 11 months ago.
HelloThis is a different expert and I have a different answer for you.This very clearly looks like ringworm of the scalp.It needs a specific prescription, and if it has failed creams, it probably needs an oral medication.It would not need a biopsy, but a swab test sent to the lab to confirm it.Ringworm of the scalp is more difficult to clear up, and often requires an oral med. See your GP and point this out specifically, get the test, and start his /her treatment. I am a double board certified clinical doctor of internal medicine [we must test and demonstrate our expertise in dermatology] and integrative medicine [medicine and natural therapies]. If you would like to know other medical approaches to this, find me by request anytime in the medical category after you click a positive rating for DR. thomas on this answer page [see the top]. I can not access the additional services offer here. OK, so that is an initial answer….Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.